Here is a bunch of stuff I did, thought, said and looked at in 2013. I like writing these things down and having a little look back. I hope you all had a brilliant 2013, and all the best for 2014.
Oh so important to me, I think I went to a record number of gigs this year. I also completed my musical resolution and bought a digital piano (with proper weighted keys). I’ve named it Ziggy.
- Muse (Shepherd’s Bush Empire, Emirates Stadium, Horse Guards Parade—saw Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie in the flesh!)
- Stereophonics (Brixton Electric, Portsmouth Guildhall, The O2 Arena)
- Placebo (Brixton Academy, Brixton Academy)
- 30 Seconds to Mars (The O2 Arena)
- Goo Goo Dolls (Hammersmith Apollo)
- Paul Weller (G Live)
I went to a couple of recordings this year. No QI unfortunately, but still some cool stuff.
- Infinite Monkey Cage – very lucky to be at the incredibly inspiring, incredibly loud recording about space tourism with Brian Blessed.
- Never Mind the Buzzcocks 1 – John Hannah was the host, have seen him do the “stop all the clocks” speech live…
- Never Mind the Buzzcocks 2 – Kristen Schaal was the host. The most memorable part? When David O’Doherty started talking about doing naughty things in front of a sheep and they all started demonstrating their err… pleasure faces… haha. This did not make it into the show.
I don’t really watch much television, but I did really enjoy South Parks three part black Friday meets Game of Thrones meets the console wars episode.
- Hayward Gallery Light Show
- Watts Gallery (including the Frank Holl exhibit)
- Petworth House
- Tate Britain – mostly to see my favourite John Constable painting, but also William Blake!
- Pompeii at the British Museum
- The National Gallery – a couple of visits, one to sit in front of a Rousseau painting for hours
- David Bowie Is – absolutely fucking incredible
- The Victory at Portsmouth
I’ve found some pretty cool stuff on the net this year, and it’s all been pinned on my Pinterest.
My friend Hannah and I started a little collective, doing arty things each week so expect to see more of that in the new year.
- Book of Mormon – funniest thing I have EVER seen
- Priscilla Queen of the Desert – Jason Donovan!
- Professor Brian Cox & Robin Ince’s Compendium of Reason – this deserves a post all of its own. They are incredible nights and fantastic value for money. The highlight of this one was Commander Chris Hadfield (astronaut!) singing Space Oddity with a jazz band and Brian on piano. If you didn’t see his recording of Space Oddity IN SPACE, then you need to check that out.
- Hunger Games: Catching Fire
- Nightmare Before Xmas sing along
- Peaky Blinders BFI Screening with cast/director/writer QA session
- Muse in Rome – where was Charles the robot?!
- Cloud Nine – Guildford College Play starring my brother
Apparently I watched 100 films. They were largely films I already had, but I did pick up my Love Film subscription again and get two new films a month. I was trying to watch all my films but I am 47 short, those are on my list for 2014.
None of the new ones stand out that much. Big was a lot of fun, Heavenly Creatures was chilling. The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas is worth watching, but very devastating.
I watched Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind a few times. So much love for that film.
Oh and I did my “only every 5 years” watch of Requiem for a Dream. Such a powerful film, but too hard to watch any more frequently than that.
- Portsmouth (multiple, ate a lot of cake at the Tenth Hole)
- Brighton (multiple, yay!)
- Cornwall – photos still to come
- Warner Brothers Studios – Harry Potter Tour
- American Kevin was over from Nebraskaland so we had some days/nights in London
- Altitude (in the Spinnaker Tower)
- Web Expo Guildford
- Breaking Borders x 2
- Tried Zumba – fun!
- Perseid Meteor Shower – saw tons from my balcony
- Lost Bean 🙁
- Got Darcy Dumpling 🙂
- Ellie and Jamie’s wedding
32 books of a 40 book goal. Down from last year, but I did read a lot of kids books (short) last year. When I was thinking about my reading habits the other day I decided that quantity isn’t important. Just so long as I read something (in book form, kindle or otherwise) each day. I was also very focussed on new books and avoiding re-reads, but towards the end of the year I re-read a couple of books and really enjoyed it. Reading is one of my favourite things to do, so I’m chucking out my “rules” and just doing whatever the hell I want in 2014.
15k words for Nanowrimo again, this time a coherent single story though. I’m not really sure what I’m going to do with it, I did enjoy the writing though. Each year I feel like I’m building up to something, an idea I’ve had for a while. I’m hoping in 2014 that idea might materialise on paper.
Health – Food, Exercise & “Beauty”
I was so busy with other things this year that this totally took a back seat.
In June I completed a juice/veg detox which was fun. I still have the juicer so I’m considering incorporating this into healthy eating in 2014. It’s a pain to clean so maybe a fortnightly thing.
Exercise, I did some running during the summer and got better at it. Did bits and pieces of routines I came up with a while ago. Nothing solid, but not completely ignored.
Trying to stick to a skincare routine was something that didn’t happen. I tried out Liz Earle’s hot cloth cleanser and loved it so that’s something for 2014.
Work & Money
Well this is probably the biggest thing, I quit my job to have a bit of a creative reset and went freelance full time. I was intending to look for a job in October, but freelance kept me pretty busy right up until Christmas when things went quiet as they do. January has quite a lot in the pipeline, but I will be poking at the job thing then too. Might do a separate post about specific work stuff too.
I kept up with my usual money spreadsheets (I do love a good spreadsheet) and obvs managed my freelance accounts. Will be continuing with this in the new year.
Didn’t manage to stick to any kind of cleaning routine, it’s on the list for 2014.
Happy New Year
I’ve probably forgotten some stuff, but looking at that already makes me feel pretty amazing! Obviously spent a lot of time with some very fabulous people and love them all to bits. Happy new year!